Re: Performance metrics

  • From: Karl Arao <karlarao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevin.jernigan@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 00:27:02 -0500

And BTW,  from this issue here
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-INmcLLwj-9g/T4gLGZwIIfI/AAAAAAAABkg/L5AtWmhi-Ts/s2048/20120412-template-PGA3.png
don't think that resource manager (limit the amount of CPU) will be of any
help. The boxed green are the known Oracle CPU cycles and if you start to
limit stuff you may be affecting the encircled green workload on the left
side that is not doing any harm on the server... causing another problem
altogether.
Unless we dig into the "usage tracking" of BIEE on the time slice where the
issue happened and have a graceful way of mapping those jobs/users to a
consumer group just like what rittman did here
http://www.rittmanmead.com/2010/01/oracle-database-resource-manager-and-obiee/
but
then again, by enabling that feature it's not addressing the problem.
 kswapd will not care if you have resource manager and it will still do
tremendous swapping which translates to "CPU wait IO" and high load
average.

So fixing the SQLs (rewrite,etc.) and drilling on what can we do on the
BIEE side (cache seed,design review,etc.)  would be the best thing to do
here.

--
Karl Arao
karlarao.wordpress.com