Re: Performance impact of MONITORING and GATHER_STALE

  • From: Robyn <robyn.sands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:47:32 -0500

Leng,

I've been using monitoring and gather stale to maintain statistics on
our data warehouse for about 9 months and it has worked out well for
this system.  Reports are written out to the file system so I can see
the level of change on the objects and know which ones will be
captured by the weekly gather stale job.  Although only a small
percent of the objects will be reanalyzed each week,  I still export
the statistics in case the new stats have a negative impact on query
performance.   The tables that change most often are highly used for
reporting on this db so they are the 'usual suspects' in performance
issues anyway.  I haven't seen any indications that the monitoring has
negatively impacted performance and for this system, being able to
identify the tables that were frequently changing was important.

Robyn