Re: Performance comparison of Oracle Vs Aurora MySQL

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ravi Teja Bellamkonda <raviteja.bellamkonda7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 20:55:52 -0400

Comments in-line

On 04/05/2018 08:11 PM, Ravi Teja Bellamkonda wrote:

Hi Mladen,

First of all thanks for the response.

The primary reason they are considering this migration is to attain a better performing database considering the scaling capabilities of Aurora would solve all the issues which makes a technological decision not a business decision.

Better performing doing what? OLTP? Reporting? Data Warehouse? Data Mart? Oracle, as opposed to various MySQL variants, is completely instrumented with a very rich set of tools to help you diagnose the performance problems.  So, where is the problem with Oracle? The answer to that question is crucial for answering your question. What kind of workload is bringing the Oracle RDBMS with 40 processors and 160 GB RAM to its knees? And going from Oracle to something else is ALWAYS a business decision, not a technology decision. If the performance was a problem, a good consultant could probably solve it for a small fraction of the migration cost. You will have a very demanding migration project on your hands that is likely to cost some serious money. Just to copy all the data from Oracle RDBMS --> Aurora will take some hard manual labour and scripting. Remember, you need to replicate the table structure, along with all foreign keys, study all the triggers and see how to replace them and copy all the data in a consistent manner, all while keeping the original database running. You are very unlikely to just disconnect the original DB and plough on with Aurora until the development is done. You are also very likely to need a heterogeneous replication software, like Golden Gate. We are talking about a major project and shelling out some real money, before you can even think of switching to Aurora.
I have done a migration project of migrating Oracle 11.2 --> DB2 9.7 and it was hard, despite the fact that DB2 is much more feature rich than any variant of MySQL. It is easier now with DB2 10 and 11 because those versions can execute PL/SQL natively, but it would still be a major undertaking.  Aurora is an order of magnitude more complex.

My disagreement is about the idea of scaling big would fix all the problems.

This is what I think about our scenario:
"If Camaro is not fast enough for you, definitely moving to a 18 Wheeler will not help". I might be completely wrong here.

Well, what it all boils down to is what are you doing with Camaro? What kind of tasks do you expect? Do you need the vehicle to pick up your kids and go shopping or do you need a vehicle to do some serious transport?

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant