RE: Peoplesoft on RAC

  • From: "Go-Faster Consultancy Ltd." <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>, 'ORACLE-L' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:58:20 +0100

There isn't a huge amount on this subject.  I have seen PeopleSoft HR (with T&L
and Payroll), Financials and CRM on 2-node RAC on a couple of sites.
(I have never seen more than 2-node, but there is no reason for it not to work).
This is a wild generalisation, but I would say that Peoplesoft appears to work
as well on RAC as it does on single instance.
All the PeopleSoft recommendations for Oracle (in the platform certification
report) apply to single instance and RAC.

I have seen a symetric configurations where everything is distributed across
both nodes.
I have seen an asymetric configurations with on-line on one node and batch on
another (the hardware under each instance is different).  I had some misgivings
regarding this when it was proposed, but so far it has worked well.  Different
TNS services were defined in the tnsnames.ora that preferred one node over the
other, or load balanced across both.  In PeopleSoft the PeopleSoft database
name must match the TNS service name.  So, for each additional TNS sevice, an
entry has to be added to the table in PeopleSoft that maps the database name to
schema where all the objects are located.  We had three services, we needed
three rows in this table. Depending on how you want an Application Server or
Process Scheduler to connect to the RAC, you configure it to connect to the
PeopleSoft database where the TNS service of the same name has the desired
characteristic.

I am working with another system on single instance that has particularly high
on-line and day-time batch activity.  Sufficient to cause database locking
problems in the process scheduler distribution server.  I haven't seen a system
with this level of intensity on RAC.

regards
_________________________
David Kurtz