Re: Patching databases - time estimates

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:17:35 -0600

Tony,

The problem with asking multiple questions is that one may be overlooked ;-)

Patch times vary a lot depending on hardware and the such. The best policy
is to apply them to a test server and that will let you get your procedure
down. You'll still find that your production server may vary significantly
in the amount of time it takes.

8i to 10g. Hard to make a blanket statement. This could be a good time to
change the layout of your database to benefit most from 10g. For example,
are you using LMT everywhere? On the other hand, how much data, how long a
downtime window can you get? Imp/exp may not complete in the available
downtime window.
Here is a link to a document that may offer some ideas:
http://www.tcoug.org/, scroll down to Best Practices for Upgrading to Oracle
database 10g, and open the link to the presentation.

Dennis Williams

On 1/31/07, Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1/31/07, S. Anthony Sequeira <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> More than one question here.  I have been asked to estimate the time
> required to patch several databases.
>
> The majority are 9i (currently 9.2.0.1/9.2.0.4), to be patched up to
> 9.2.0.8, all are single instance databases, all are running on
> Win2K/Win 2003 servers.  Most are 24/7, some 8/5
>
> Unfortunately, there are a couple of these still running on NT4.
>
> There are also a few 8.1.7 databases to be migrated to 10g on NT4 :(
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) A rough idea of time required for:
>   a) 9i patch to 9.2.0.8?
>   b) 8i patch to 10.2.  Would it be better to export/import?
>
> 2)
>   a) Will 10g be OK on NT4?
>   b) If so, will Oracle support it?
>   c) Is it possible to patch 8.1 to 10.2? (see 1b)
>
> I'm pessimistic about 2, I'll be digging around on Metalink as soon as
> I finish paperwork, but I have a meeting and I have to have a rough
> idea on the above.
>
> Cheers.
> --
> Tony

Tony,

MS Windows NT4 is a desupported OS.
Metalink >> Certify >> by platform >> product >> check versions and
submit.

I wonder how MS WinNT4 will handle the daylight savings time change?

Paul