Re: Password file not getting updated

  • From: Norman Dunbar <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 16:50:19 +0100

On 11/10/11 16:44, Ram Raman wrote:

> I think you are right. When I launch rman it hangs. I went to the OH/bin and
> tried to launch it, it still hung. When I did 'which rman' I get this:
>
> [oracle@server]$ which rman
> /usr/X11R6/bin/rman
Unfortunaley, X11 comes with a binary called rman and it's usually
higher up the PATH than Oracle's own binary called rman.

I usually do something like:

        alias rman='$ORACLE_HOME/bin/rman'

With single quotes so that $ORACLE_HOME is evaluated when I type the
rman command and not now when I'm defining the alias. This means I can
change Oracle Homes and still get the correct version of rman for that
Oracle Home.

What you are seeing is not unusual.

Cheers,
Norm.

PS. Your real version of rman lives in $ORACLE_HOME/bin/rman.

--
Norman Dunbar
Dunbar IT Consultants Ltd

Registered address: