Partition Exchange Instantaneous?

  • From: japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:53:20 -0500

I've used Partitioned Tables and the Exchange Partition feature for years,
but it's almost always been when I've got the database to myself or on a
table accessed by read-only processes.  I need to perform this on a table
that's an Audit log for a transaction table being hit fairly frequently.
The transaction table has a trigger that inserts rows in the audit table
for every insert, update, or delete.

Since the Partition Exchange is a Data Dictionary process only, I'm
assuming that, should there be a DML transaction on the main table during
the Exchange, the Audit row(s) will either go into the old Audit table
segment or be put into the new, empty exchanged-in segment.  Have there
been any reports or situations where a transaction's data got "lost"
during a Segment Exchange?  I can't find anywhere that Oracle guarantees
it won't happen.

Thanks.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9250 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

Sent from my old PC,
   revitalized and secured by Ubuntu Linux.