RE: Paging Devices for Oracle DBAs

  • From: "Thater, William" <William.Thater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:17:49 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: David Wagoner [mailto:dwagoner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 10:00 AM
To: ORACLE-L (E-mail)
Subject: Paging Devices for Oracle DBAs

I'd like to get some feedback on good communication/paging devices for
Oracle DBAs.  I currently have a crappy old Nokia phone that can recieve
email, but it's not very good for this purpose.  Are any of you using
devices that work really well for DBA alerts?  The Treo and Blackberry units
look nice, but they are expensive.  Are they really worth the expense for
this function?  I used to carry a clam-shell Motorolla pager that was
useful, but too big for comfort.  A phone/pager combination would be ideal I
think, if it works well :-).

What are you guys using that you like/don't like?
[Shrek]

i don't like getting paged at all.;-)   and i'm not using anything but the
home phone answering machine.  the hosting company doesn't do automatic
paging, i usually find out something is/was down the next day when things
are broken and people are complaining.;-)

--

Bill "Shrek" Thater     ORACLE DBA

"I'm going to work my ticket if I can..." -- Gilwell song

                william.thater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:william.thater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

A human being is part of a whole, called by us the "Universe," a part
limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and
feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion
of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting
us to our personal deesires and to affection for a few persons nearest us.
Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles
of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its
beauty. - Albert Einstein