Re: Paging Devices for Oracle DBAs

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mladen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:08:21 -0500

On 03/16/2004 09:59:58 AM, David Wagoner wrote:
> I'd like to get some feedback on good communication/paging devices for
> Oracle DBAs.  I currently have a crappy old Nokia phone that can recieve
> email, but it's not very good for this purpose.  Are any of you using
> devices that work really well for DBA alerts?  The Treo and Blackberry units
> look nice, but they are expensive.  Are they really worth the expense for
> this function?  I used to carry a clam-shell Motorolla pager that was
> useful, but too big for comfort.  A phone/pager combination would be ideal I
> think, if it works well :-).
>
> What are you guys using that you like/don't like?

I used to carry Motorola pager serviced by skytel and they were completely
adequate. The most important characteristic of a beeper is the ability to
receive email and let me know what is wrong with the database ASAP. What was
specially important was ease of sending beeps and it was great, send an
email to <pin>@skytel.com and it worked like a charm. As for the size,
pal, you have to acquire a 42" waistline like me, and pager will not be
that big any more.