RE: PL/SQL memory usage?

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Post, Ethan" <Ethan.Post@xxxxxx>, <ldutra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:23:42 +0000

from an oracle perspective, its still unbounded. i found it interesting because
all the other memory usage is bounded by oracle. You can't have more than X
space usage in the buffer cache, or the library cache etc... you can set that
yourself.

as far as arrays go, you can keep taking as much as the OS lets you.

i would be very surprised if its taken from the buffer cache as the original
poster suggested. I never saw docs on this. If its taken from anywhere, that
would mean that when you hit the max amount for what your settings allow it
then goes out and gets more memory. I don't know how Oracle manages this.

Not entirely true. Some OS version/levels have limits. I saw a situation
recently at which it was impossible to exceed 500MB with out ORA- error. The
tricky part was trying to figure out what array was using all the memory and
where in the PLSQL the array was being filled. Would be nice to have a little
event that traced these objects only.