Re: PL/SQL in SQL (12c feature)

  • From: Tim Hall <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 16:00:18 +0100

My terminology could be slightly wrong here, but my understanding of this is...

The context switch is removed (or the effect minimized) by the PL/SQL
having an SQL call signature, rather than a PL/SQL call signature. A
stored procedure/function can have the same "benefit" by using PRAGMA
UDF.

The numbers certainly seem to stack up. Stored PL/SQL is slower than
PL/SQL in WITH clause. PL/SQL in WITH clause is slower than stored
PL/SQL defined with PRAGMA UDF.

A assume the latter is better as the stored PL/SQL is already compiled...

Cheers

Tim...