PL/SQL in SQL (12c feature)

  • From: "McPeak, Matt" <vxsmimmcp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 14:28:19 +0000

Hi.  I'm a bit lazy on this one - looked for 15 minutes and didn't find
anything and it's sort of just a passing question in my mind anyway.  But I
thought I'd throw it out to the group...

So, 12c has a new feature that allows you to declare PL/SQL functions in-line
in SQL with a "WITH" clause.  In addition to not requiring privileges to create
packages, these PL/SQL functions are executed without a context switch from SQL
to PL/SQL, and so are perform better than calls to stored PL/SQL.  (Stop me
right there if any of that's not correct)

My question is: if an in-line PL/SQL function calls a stored PL/SQL function,
does it all still execute without a context switch?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Matt