PL/SQL Native Compilation 11g - slower not faster :(

  • From: David Mann <dmann99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:12:13 -0400

I have been working with a developer on tuning some CPU intensive PL/SQL
procedures. We are on 11.1.0.7/Solaris/64-bit Sparc processors. After fixing
up some inefficient SQL in the code we did some baseline testing and
confirmed that the processing is CPU bound. We are happy with the speed of
our code now but more headroom is always nice, we were hoping for a last
minute speed boost before we release the code by compiling the PL?SQL
Natively instead of leaving it Interpreted.

After setting DB parameters and using DBMSUPGNV and UTLRP to recompile
PL/SQL modules we re-ran our benchmarks. Timings are coming out to be
slightly slower than interpreted (a minute or two slower on a 60 minute
processing run).

This is my first time actually using Native compilation and did not expect
to see this running slower than interpreted. Everything we had read had me
expecting to see faster runtimes or worst case running at the same speed as
the old code, definitely not slower.

Just wondering if anyone else on list has seen any similar behavior (either
on our platform or another one).

-Dave

--
Dave Mann