Re: PL/SQL Development Tool Of Choice

  • From: Kellyn Pot'vin <kellyn.potvin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:11:41 -0700 (PDT)

Now I have to say, and this goes for most tools, that when I stated I would
like to see TOAD go on a diet, I meant all the extra calls it makes to provide
the user every piece of data at their fingertips, even when all they want is
one, small bit of information.
Let's say a developer is in TOAD and wants to see the name of table 'XYZ'.
When they click on it, TOAD also gathers for them, (just in case) all the
column information, size information, extents, dependencies, partitions,
constraints, etc.  This kind of added querying has a cost overall to the
performance of the data dictionary and to a performance tuning DBA, if I start
seeing waits on my TAB$, ICOL$, SEG$, IND$, etc. tables, then I'm going to want
to know why this has started.

If upon research, I find it's because I have 25+ users with TOAD, having it
implemented as the user interface for AdHoc queries, then I'm not going to be
as much a fan of it vs. if a DBA is utilizing it to do their day to day job.

I just find that it needs a few different working modes is all-  Only go to the
database when it needs to... :)

Kellyn Pot'Vin
Senior Technical Consultant
Enkitec