RE: PHP Scripts and Oracle instantclient

  • From: "Dunbar, Norman" <norman.dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 08:10:30 +0100

Morning Martin,

>>      I installed sqlplus on a ubuntu system via the Oracle
>> linux-instantclient and it appears to be working in that I can
>> now connect to the Oracle database we need on a remote server.
>> The instantclient software will run oracle scripts but what I
>> have on hand are some php scripts that use embedded oci commands
>> to execute the Oracle commands. Here is part of a script:

You probably should install Zend Core for Oracle, downloaded freely from
a link on Oracle's web site. It builds the full PHP stack and gives you
decent control over it as well.

The link is http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/php/index.htm

Also useful is the Underground Oracle & PHP Manual
http://www.oracle.com/ocom/groups/public/@ocompublic/documents/webconten
t/026973.pdf which is linked off the above page as is the Zend link to
http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/php/zendcore/index.html.

I've started used using Zend and PHP on a SLES box and as long as you
don't need to use the built in php stuff, it's fine. So I would
deinstall the existing PHP stuff and use the Zend core which has all the
database and OCI stuff you will need built in.

Works well on Windows too. (Well, the Windows version does I mean!)

>>      If this all sounds confusing, I am not yet familiar with
>> either Oracle or php but having to make a special build of php
>> each time sounds like a recipe for trouble. After you get
>> something like that working once, people start to depend on it
>> and you are just one upgrade away from dead in the water and who
>> knows why?
So, use Zend! It comes with an installer, the Underground PHP manual
covers installing it on Windows or Linux and there are sections of
troubleshooting the Instant Client (possibly) related problems.

There's another download, the link I don't have at present, for the
"Oracle PHP 2 day PHP course" but I suspect a search of otn.oracle.com
will turn it up!

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged.
If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender
immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.   We have checked
this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any
attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to
it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act
or for litigation.  Email messages and attachments sent to or from any
Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the
sender or recipient, for business purposes.  If we have sent you information
and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get
by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find out more about the Environment Agency at
www.environment-agency.gov.uk

about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk