Re: PGA usage

  • From: "Yavor Ivanov" <Yavor_Ivanov@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Frits Hoogland" <frits.hoogland@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:38:00 +0300

        Hello, frits

        Yes, the /3GB switch is set. And I am using the folowing query to
identify who is eating the PGA:
select sysdate q_time, s.sid, n.name, s.value
 from v$statname n, v$sesstat s
where n.statistic# = s.statistic#
and n.name in ('session pga memory')
order by 4 desc, 2;

        The report is just one nasty query, which joins lots of tables and
calls some very basic pl/sql functions about a gazillion times - no arrays, no
cursors, nothing special. Just big sorts and lots of hash joins in the plan,
and basically everything you can think of when you think about nightmare
execution plans. And no hints, by the way.
        But, even if it will be much slower, I just can't understand why is all
this happening in memory and not in TEMP. This leads to whole database
instability - any session can get ora-4030 during the report, when the memory
reaches 3 GB.

--
Regards,
Yavor Ivanov