Re: PGA usage

  • From: "Syed Jaffar Hussain" <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Yavor_Ivanov@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:33:28 +0300

*Memory usage in a 32bit Windows environment*
* (how to avoid ORA-4030 /ORA-12500s) Note : Note:373602.1*

Look at the Jonathan's note, he mentioned that '

*_pga_max_size – this hidden parameter defaults to 200 megabytes, regardless
of the setting for pga_aggregate_target.'*

**

*http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/untested.html*

On 7/10/07, Yavor Ivanov <Yavor_Ivanov@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

       Hello, gurus

       I have some problems with Oracle 10.2.0.3 on Windows 2003 32-bit.
We have PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET set to 350 MB and a SGA of 2200 MB. Some of the
sessions are shared server ones (which take memory from the large pool), and
others are dedicated. Sometimes, when some big-fat report is running, the
actual PGA allocated grows up to 550 MB and more. Then we are getting
ora-4030, because we hit the 3 GB limit of 32 bit windows.
       In this cases I can see that one dedicated connection (the one
running the big report) has allocated up to 280 MB PGA (this is, one
session!). We are not using parallel things, if it matters at all.
       I know PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET is just a target, not a limit. But I
wonder is there any way to limit how much PGA can a single session consume.
I thought there is a rule stating no session can eat more than 10% than the
total target, but this proved to be wrong.

--
Regards,
Yavor Ivanov

Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain
Oracle ACE
8i,9i & 10g OCP DBA

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."