RE: PGA / WORKAREA_SIZE_POLICY / SYSTEM_STATS & Optimzer Influence during HEAVY load (bind peeking?)

  • From: <Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 12:08:31 -0500

It just struck me that this query could be a victim of bind peeking.

We loop through multiple ORG_IDS and we see this perf problem for different
orgs every night - each org may or may not have data to process for that
particular night.

I can't remember: Does Oracle peek the binds for each execution, or only for
the first execution when the SQL is not in the cache?

If Oracle is peeking at the bind when the SQL is first loaded (and not after
that) then the first ORG_ID could be causing subsequent executions to be
suboptimal - or am I going down the wrong path?

Chris