PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET cannot be unset without a restart

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:53:07 +0800

I have a number of 9.2 databases.  I had gradually begun
using PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET and WORKAREA_POLICY and was comfortable with them.
However, the last database I switched to using P_A_T and W_P
doesn't perform very well.  This has a very high rate of
connect/disconnects [11 to 18 per second][
we can discuss why I don't use connection pooling / shared
server etc seperately] and P_A_T sometimes results in
some sessions with extremely high process sizes.
Apparently, the dynamic recomputation of Target Memory
isn't fast enough and the Oracle Kernel seems to be
getting false values.

I was able to change WORKAREA_POLICY back to MANUAL with
an ALTER SYSTEM command but P_A_T, once set to any value
cannot be set back to 0.  Even though W_P is now MANUAL,
the database instance still seems to be using P_A_T.
I can only try reducing P_A_T but the process sizes indicate
that it is being used.

Has anyone come across similar behaviour ?

This is 9.2.0.2RAC on Tru64.

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital

All the suffering in the world arises out of wanting happiness for self.
All happiness in the world arises out of wanting happiness for others.
- Shantideva