RE: Outgrowing Standard Edition

  • From: TJ Kiernan <tkiernan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-l Digest Users" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 20:35:38 +0000

Ultimately, it’s the decision of whoever is signing the checks.  The most you
can hope to do is inform their decision.  The thing the business is most likely
to understand is dollars and cents.  To the people who don’t want to lay a big
chunk of cash out for Enterprise Edition, try to quantify the hours they’re
paying for people to hack together AND maintain EE-ish features.  If they
invest in the capital expenditure of EE, then they can redeploy those work
hours to doing things that make the business money.  Maybe you’ll find that
they’re saving 20% off the cost of an EE license.  That’s good, right? (No, it
isn’t.  After 5 years, you’ve negated the savings by continuing to pay staff to
do the job of a software license.)

If the opex still looks more attractive than the capex, you can also compare
things like RTO expectations between DataGuard and scripted standby (assuming
you’re copying archived logs once they’re archived, your data loss in a
failover situation is going to be determined by how long it’s been since your
logs have switched).  Is that OK with the business?  Probably not if the demand
for availability is increasing.  Identify the other risks inherent with the SE
+ duct tape and bubble gum solutions that are addressed somehow in EE.  We can
all probably agree that EE is not cheap.  Sticker shock is to be expected, but
if you can present facts that demonstrate the value, you have a shot.

HTH,
T. J.