RE: Outer Joins are Evil?

  • From: "Karen Morton" <karen.morton@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:54:04 -0700

Sounds like excuses...not reasons.  What evidence do they provide to
support their conclusion that outer joins are bad?  It looks a bit like
an attempt to disguise a fear of doing full table scans or something
like that.

Outer joins, like pretty much everything else, are not "inherently
evil".  They are another option/tool to be used appropriately when and
where needed.  While I don't disagree with using default values in FK
columns and the like, doing it only with the justification of avoiding
outer joins is a bit near-sighted.  Eliminating any one thing out of
fear of what "it" may do seems to me to be more a fear of poorly written
code as a result of misusing the feature.  If it's really the fear of
bad code, then teach people how to properly use the tool and do not take
the tool out of the box entirely instead.

Karen Morton
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
Upcoming events at http://www.hotsos.com/education/schedule.html