Orion benchmark relationship IOPS v MBPS

  • From: John Hallas <John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:37:37 +0000

I suspected we had performance problems with Disk I/O on server B. AWR stats
indicated high response times. I therefore ran a fixed Orion benchmark against
the server (and some others as well). I ran it against 2 disks and took the
best figures from each run. I picked times when the server load was low and
re-ran the tests several more times if I suspected that load was higher than
other servers.

The backend XP4800 array was the same one in each case bar Server D where the
array was remote to the server (in the other tests the server and SAN were on
the same site).

The HBA throughput statistics were consistent to the IOPS measurement shown
above for each server and HBAs were well balanced across each server.

I am comfortable we have a problem with disk I/O on server B but what I do not
understand is why MPBS on server A and server B are almost the same and yet
there is a 5fold increase in IOPS on server A.

The test is

 ./orion_hpux_ia64 -run advanced -write 40 -matrix basic -duration 120
-testname mytest  -num_disks 2

Server A

Server B

Server C

Server D

MBPS

238

228

196

 188

IOPS

13220

2524

13196

10676

Latency

0.75

3.71

0.76

0.84

XP Array (local)

XP Array (local)

XP Array (local)

XP Array (remote)

Changing the write parameter for Orion to either 10% indicated the same
relationship between servers with B performing much worse again.

Any help appreciated in explaining how I can test further or why the IOPS might
be so bad on B and yet MBPS has remained roughly the same.

www.jhdba.wordpress.com

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The
registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West
Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the
addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to
the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely
on the email or its attachments in any way.

Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC accepts no liability or responsibility for
anything said in the email or its attachments and gives no warranty as to
accuracy. It is the policy of Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC not to enter into
any contractual or other obligations by email.

Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are
virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility,
and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.