Re: Oralce Newbie

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 12:39:38 +0100

Dear Software

What a funny name you have, I bet it causes lots of fun at parties.

Your question is actually a very good one, as there are several
hundreds of sites of hints and tips, and I believe in excess of 20,000
pages of documentation which can all be rather intimidating. Then
there are the plethora of books available.

Fortunately the situation has got better in the last couple of years or so.

First Oracle Corp have rewritten a significant amount of the
documentation with their latest version of the DBMS and included in
this is a rather excellent document called the 2 day dba, You can find
this (and the rest of the docs) at http://otn.oracle.com - which
requires free subscription but ought to be a weekly visit. I would
start with this document - but when you have finished it and if you
have an earlier version of the software (I'd suggest that was sensible
for production use) then after you have read the 2 day dba there is a
document for each of the earlier versions called the Oracle Concepts
Guide - that is on otn as well.

Next there are a number of good books around

Peter has already mentioned dba 101, If you are looking at this from a
developers perspective I'd highly recommend Tom Kyte's Expert
One-on-One Oracle which is available from Apress the opening chapters
especially deal with how Oracle differs from other RDBMS systems out
there. .

The last site to note is the faq site that appears at the bottom of
this mail, since it hosts a whole bunch of links to Oracle related
questions.

Good luck

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA