RE: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 08:13:42 -0700

        Ok, can't resist! I'm still really angry that they dropped
support of the SGI Irix platform. Oracle on NUMA really screamed there
and the tools to monitor the system were second to none whether or not
you used a gui interface!!!

...you're going to tell *me* about Oracle on NUMA? bwahahahahahahahahaha

P.S. The SGI Origin was a good system. Even though it is
dead it really does live on. Its called Hypertransport and
anyone with an Opteron system feels the power.

P.S.S. As with most SMP first, Sequent had the first production
NUMA and hence the first NUMA optimizations on Oracle. Optimizations
such as resource-local LRUs, Chains, buffers, etc where implemented
in the Sequent port of Oracle8i. You can read about it in James Morle's
Scaling Oracle8i book. BTW, just because it says 8i in the title,
don't be fooled. 99.42% of everyone on this list would stand to
learn a good bit from that book. It was well ahead of its time.