Re: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

  • From: MVE <mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:01:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- bill thater <shrekdba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This is NOT only initial cost YOU have to jump through the same hoops every
> > time Linux changes their os which is more often than Solaris (we ran on the
> > same boxes same os for 7 years).
>
> hmmmm.... all we've had to do is apply the kernel patches, reboot the
> box and bring up the databases.  maybe i've been lucky?
>

> > ORACLE/Linux is not the best practice.
>
> well, seems to work fine for us with no major problems.  guess it may
> be how you define best practice?

Well lets see here ... just for ORACLE EE (not even OAS, not even ORACLE APPS
just plain old ORACLE EE):

Certify - Certification Matrix: Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition on Solaris
Operating System (SPARC)

Solaris 2.6     ORACLE 9.2 Addtl. Info.: NONE
Solaris 9       ORACLE 9.2 Addtl. Info.: NONE
Solaris 8       ORACLE 9.2 Addtl. Info.: NONE
Solaris 7       ORACLE 9.2 Addtl. Info.: NONE
Solaris 10      ORACLE 9.2 Addtl. Info.: NONE

Certify - Certification Matrix: Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition on Linux
(x86)

RH-E Linux AS/ES 4      9.2 Addtl. Info.: pointer to a OTN doc
RH-E Linux AS/ES 3      9.2 Addtl. Info.: huge list of pre-reqs
RH-E Linux AS/ES 2.1    9.2 Addtl. Info.: pointer to a metalink note

Right of the bat we have to do more work (on Linux) for my initial install and
subsequent os upgrades.

More work = more chances for a human error
More work = more chances for failure/downtime
More work = higher cost

Is that you best practice?

- Vitaliy