Re: Oracle's RAT (Real Application Testing)

  • From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "niall.litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>, lyallbarbour <lyallbarbour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:19:35 -0800

> it's a big ticket item when compared with testing yourself (since you don't
> see the cost to the company). It's cheap when compared with a tool like load
> runner - and IMO a better idea for upgrades.

Keep in mind though that RAT would address the testing of just the
Database side of the load.Load Runner on the other hand woulkd
exercise the end to end flow.

Having said that though, there are other plus/minuses either side as
well. Load Runner requires you to script all the scenarios and
generate required data (depending on the scenario), and hence it does
not fully exercise *all* the applications and components at the rate
that production runs (unless and until all the scenarios are covered -
a huge task in a large app). On the other hand,  RAT would enable you
to get a real life set of SQLs running on the database and if used
well, can pretty much simulate all that is going on in the database
and in fact, be able to speed up or slow down the rate of queries
thrown at the database.

--
John Kanagaraj <><
http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnkanagaraj