Re: Oracle-Users

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gurenich@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:16:09 -0600

Maria,

>> You can use it for learning purposes, for evaluation, even for the development. Oracle is free for download and installation without paying a penny.

That's a bit too broad. I'm not the license police, but unless you're talking about Oracle XE (which is free for commercial and non-commercial use, as I understand it), Oracle definitely is *not* free for development. This is a relatively common myth and can have some pretty nasty consequences if an audit is conducted (it's happened to some sites).

While Oracle does need to be licensed for development, it is relatively common practice for companies to use named-user based licensing in non-production environments as that is often much less expensive than the CPU-based license model.

That's about all I know on the subject--the rest is a conversation you may have with Oracle Sales (and they are very likely not reading this directly).

That said, you're right, it is free for download and installation, but you really should pause and read the big license agreement you agree to when you check that box. That goes for the edelivery or OTN sites. There are some important restrictions in there that may affect your ability to use the product at all and often limits the duration for which you can use the product if you use it under the "trial" license heading.

Dan

Maria Gurenich wrote:
Finn,

Yes, you definitely should as Oracle states and encourages itself.
You can use it for learning purposes, for evaluation, even for the development. Oracle is free for download and installation without paying a penny.

You need the ML support when you have production and this production is critical. Then you buy licenses and hence the support.

Thanks,
M.