RE: OracleService terminated unexpectedly

  • From: "Johnson, William L (TEIS)" <WLJohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jkstill@xxxxxxxxx" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 13:02:59 -0500

I am not sure that I caught all of the threads for this e-mail - but we
recently had a tough battle with an Oracle 10.2.0.4 database - 64 bit
technology on Windows 2003...the instance and entire server would just hang up.
 Going to the windows server console showed a grey screen - never saw that
before...  After much banging of our heads on the table, checking event logs,
trace files alert logs - checking under every rock...we finally caught cpu
spiking through the roof.  (Yeah we have a host of thing monitoring cpu, memory
etc and nothing reported 100% cpu before the box and instance went to lunch.)

Having forgot DBA 101 drills, I neglected to check on database stats - which
should have been fine - but were not...turns out some third party vendor
instructed us to drop stats and then recalculate the stats on a 100GB+ database
weekly.  The first crash occurred in the middle of the job under heavy user
load and subsequent crashes were compliments of high cpu and the lack of
database stats.  We didn't catch it until the second day of fun.  Once all of
the database stats were put back in place everything was fine.  There are also
some bugs listed by Oracle that affect 10.2.0.4 with cpu count >= 16 and
running multiple copies of the same sql - and that happens frequently with an
oltp system too...

So, don't rule out the basics - check for stats and make sure everything is
clean.