RE: Oracle8i to 10g upgrade using exp and imp

  • From: hrishy <hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, " Thomas F \(LABOR\)Mercadante" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 13:49:30 +0000 (GMT)

Hi

My database was around 170Gb pretty smallish what i had done was taken a export
in 8i using full=y and then imported into 10g using imp full=y .

The database is functioning well but my concern was what would have happened to
the old sys and system objects of 8i that got imported into the new 10g version

regards
Hrishy

--- On Thu, 25/6/09, Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Oracle8i to 10g upgrade using exp and imp
To: hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, 25 June, 2009, 1:20 PM

Hrishy,

Why would you want to do an exp with full=Y?

I would simply recreate any scripts to create local roles and users. Include
any privs assigned to each user in the recreate scripts.

Run these scripts to create the roles and users.
Export and import each schema individually.  Export with Oracle 8 and Import
with Oracle 10.

Resolve any problems.  Should be a snap.

You don’t say how big your database is and this may be a deciding factor in how
you do this.

Hope this helps.

Tom

From: Herald ten Dam <Herald.ten.Dam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx" <hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, 25 June, 2009, 11:20 AM

Hi,

Oracle has the Oracle Database Upgrade Guide. In this the method is mentioned.
See
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238/preup.htm#i694345.
 Start reading from the paragraph Export/Import

Herald ten Dam
Superconsult