RE: Oracle vs sybase

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:45:17 +0000

I met a SQL Server DBA who told me that SQL Server 2005 has something akin to
multi-versioning. Does anyone know anything about this? My understanding is
that reads no longer block writes. is this true?

From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

If MSFT is being honest, they claim there is no remaining Sybase code in SQL
Server 2005. FWIW.

There may not be anything recent on Sybase, but maybe if you searched for
comparisons between Oracle and MS SQL Server you might have better luck. MS SQL
is based on an earlier version of Sybase, but I believe that since then, both
have independently added row-level locking, which Oracle had long ago.

Dennis Williams