RE: Oracle ventures into the O/S market.....?

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:04:19 -0700

Good thread, Matthew, but as a guy that worked inside
an Oracle port (Sequent) for 10 years, I still see
the same old OS interfaces (OSDS)....  Oracle still
does shared memory, shared libraries, IPC (on and off host (skgxp)),
and I/O...unless Oracle gets some code (a lot actually) into the
kernel, those VERY important runtime facilities are
still going to be in the domain of the OS.

Also, since Oracle never truly implemented a multithreaded
server (ala Sybase or Informix DSA, Ingres) there is
quite a reliance upon process infrastructure as well.