Re: Oracle to Postgres migration

  • From: Igor Neyman <igor.neyman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vit.spinka@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:19:59 -0500

Hello Vit,

I haven't looked at EnterpriseDB lately and specifically what new features
they offer.
But, the "general" feeling is that they are developing features, that would
bring "community" version of PostgreSQL closer to Oracle, and make migration
somewhat easier.  I think, they even have some kind of "migration" tool.
Still they (Oracle and PG) really far apart, considering abundance of Oracle
features.

What I like is that with Postgres one can get some features available in
Oracle only for "extra" $$, i.e. Postgres (even "community" version)
provides table Partitioning, though you have to do some Pl/PgSQL programming
to use/implement this feature.

Regards,
Igor