RE: Oracle support for RHEL 6

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle.tutorials@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Oracle-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 06:50:44 -0400

Other folks have answered your actual question. I'm curious about something
else: Is your licensing such that it makes sense to use cycles on the same
server? Or did I over interpret "same OS platform/server" and you just mean
having the machine the application server is on be the same release and OS
as another machine that is the db server?

Since the advent of relatively cheap and truly impressive LAN cards the
early 1990's need to place chatty application servers on the database server
has been reduced by several orders of magnitude. Combined with per cpu (or
core, or thread, or socket, or whatever term someone has invented in the
last 15 minutes) license costs, it is probably unwise to use database server
cpu cycles on application servers.

Anyway, I would urge you to de-couple this artificial linkage when the
encapsulation is a network link. From a purely a priori position it seems
likely over time that there will be some OS revision that vastly improves
(usually meaning removes bugs) either the application server you're using or
the database you're using but is ahead of its counterpart in certifications.
You really only need to validate the communications protocols between the
two. As long as there is in house expertise, this frees you to even go with
a different OS and/or manufacturer for the application server and database
server. Over time there have often been sizeable cost/performance
differences between who was the winner in the application server space
versus the database server space. True, if you're carving up a physical rack
into virtual slices you probably want it to be all one manufacturer in a
given rack. But otherwise you may gain a lot by removing this restriction.

Regards,

mwf