Re: Oracle running on AWS RDS (or SQL Server on AWS RDS)

  • From: Rayson Ho <raysonlogin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gajav@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 17:39:41 -0500

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 11:46 PM, Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha
<gajav@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From an AWS cost perspective, comparable RDS and EC2 instances are pretty
> close, but the cost of YOU (and your fellow DBAs) undertaking all DB
> operations needs to be factored into the final number. I hope this gives you
> some perspective on the choices you have. I am referring to the EC2 Amazon
> Machine Image (AMI) for Oracle. Here are some links with those choices
> listed:

Agreed. RDS saved us lots of time. We have a few RDS instances - one
Multi-AZ db.m1.xlarge running MySQL 5.5, and a few other non-Multi-AZ
RDS instances for performance testing, development, QA, etc. And we
are experimenting a few architecture designs that utilize read
replicas. With RDS, we can create a read replica with just a few
clicks, and then we can throw it away any time we want. I think we can
save a few hundred dollars if we wrote the monitoring, High
Availability, backup, etc scripts ourselves. But the cost of blocking
our projects is too high, and it would cost us even more if we hire a
contractor to do it for us. If saving $ is our main objective, then we
may just benchmark our application, and then purchase a few RDS
"Reserved Instances" that can handle our load in the most
cost-effective way.

I think the ability to create new infrastructure and then blow it up
is well worth the extra few % that Amazon is charging. In 2012, we
create a 10,000-node cluster in a few hours, and we shut it down after
some testing.

http://blogs.scalablelogic.com/2012/11/running-10000-node-grid-engine-cluster.html

Further, AWS is always lowering cost -- I was actually there at AWS
Summit 2013 NYC when Amazon CTO announced their 31st price reduction:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AmazonWebServicesPriceReductions.JPG

And AWS adds new features all the time (eg. Enhanced Networking), so
you get higher performance and lower cost at the same time:

http://blogs.scalablelogic.com/2013/12/enhanced-networking-in-aws-cloud.html
http://blogs.scalablelogic.com/2014/01/enhanced-networking-in-aws-cloud-part-2.html

Our AWS bill is not that expensive yet -- the biggest one we had was
around $8300. This month, we are anticipating more users, so we
increased the provisioned IOPS for our production DB. As of Jan 17,
RDS makes up of 30% of the bill, and the rest is our EC2 instances,
ElastiCache, S3/RRS, Elastic Load Balacing, etc...

> - http://aws.amazon.com/running_databases/
> - http://aws.amazon.com/running_databases/#relational_amis
> - http://aws.amazon.com/oracle/
> - http://media.amazonwebservices.com/AWS_RDBMS_Oracle.pdf (Whitepaper
> describing options including provisioned IOPS)
> - https://aws.amazon.com/amis/oracle/

Besides the "RDBMS in the Cloud: Oracle Database on AWS" whitepaper, I
just found the "Oracle Database 11g on Amazon EC2 Implementation
Guide" today:

http://media.amazonwebservices.com/AWS_RDBMS_Oracle_11g_on_EC2_Reference_Architecture.pdf

Rayson

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/