Re: Oracle recovery

  • From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 13:42:17 -0600

I recall a paper from Oracle (about 5 years ago) that analyzed
the various outages, the methods of recovery and how long they
took. I have it at home and I'll see if I can get a doc_id from
it.

The point I would make with the DBA is that exports are not a
recovery mechanism, they are only able to restore to a given
point (time of the export) and they do not restore everything
(sys objects). With an export, there is no way to roll-forward.
Of course, a cold backup w/out archive logs is also unable to
roll-forward. All data from the last export and the current time
is lost period end of story. Is this acceptable? Perhaps. In
certain environments where data loss is not a problem, exports
are a pretty simple way of capturing a snapshot of the data. It
is also not just 'data' that is lost. It is anything stored
inside the db, including procedures, packages, etc. In a
development environment, a days worth of coding could easily run
into the 10s of 1000s of dollars.

Daniel