Re: Oracle pricing changes

  • From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:36:51 -0700

This looks like a pretty decent review. It was pretty difficult to read around all the advertising, though. (I don't recall Tom's Hardware being that heavy on ads, but I haven't visited there in quite some time.)

Anyway, the review was very PC- (ie., desktop-) centric. And worse, it wasn't clear to me whether or not *any* of the benchmarks were actually multithreaded. (This was made more unclear by the difficulty I had reading around the ads -- I eventually stopped trying.) As I recall, dhrystones and whetstones are single threaded, and I would expect the same with video rendering and audio compression benchmarks, although there's no reason they *have* to be single-threaded. I supect that most or all of these tests were effectively comparing one "core" in a dual-core processor against a single-core processor. Under these conditions, the chip vendor or motherboard designer (or maybe the benchmarker) would really have to mess up to get any result other than "almost identical".

I can't say I really agree with the analysis or conclusions either, except with in the narrow desktop-centric assumptions of the study. True, if you're running a laptop computer with Windows-XP and using MS-Word (or maybe Access), you *should* go with the cheaper solution (two single-core chips), since almost nothing you do is actually going to use the second CPU anyway. Yet.

But most readers of this list (I presume) are more interested in database servers than desktops. In this space, the cost of the hardware is often irrelevant (and a $500 delta between single- and dual-core processors is *completely* irrelevant) compared to the cost of Oracle database licenses. You can easily find yourself paying $175,000 to license EE and a few options on a dual-processor box that *might* cost $15,000.

So, the question remains, are server-class systems built on multi-core processors comparable in speed to systems built with single-core CPUs? Or more to the point, are they more than half as fast, since the database licenses now cost only half as much? (On x86 architectures, that is.)

I haven't looked yet, but answers to this might be found at www.spec.org. You won't see as much prose there as at Tom's Hardware, but you won't see any ads, either. ;-) Anyway, if the answers aren't there yet, they should be soon.

Just my two cents' worth...

Cheers,
-- Mark

Allen, Brandon wrote:

Just found this one on google - looks like a pretty good study:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/07/single/page13.html