RE: Oracle over NFS

  • From: "Lange, Kevin G" <kevin.lange@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <troach@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle Discussion List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:11:29 -0500

We currently have multiple Oracle 10.2.0.3 and 10.2.0.4 along with a 2
node RAC cluster working on Netapp.

Our standard connections for our RAC installation is
  na7g1:/vol/rac_oradata - /mnt_na7g1_rac_oradata nfs - yes
hard,vers=3,suid,nointr,proto=tcp,rsize=32768,wsize=32786,bg,noac,timeo=
600

While or standard connections for non-rac installations are
  na9g2:/vol/ttcp - /mnt_na9g2_ttcp nfs - yes
hard,vers=3,suid,intr,proto=tcp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768

For non-rac setups, we use their volume software so that each of our
databases is in its own volume and therefore do not affect any other
instance if some issue arrises.
We do not use Rman.
We have an archive script and a backup script that incorporates the
Netapp Snapshots to give us our backup protection along with Standby
databases at a seperate colocation.  The archive script pushes logs and
applies to the standbys every 15 minutes.  The databases undergo a hot
backup every night where the tablespaces are put into backup mode and
then the Netapp Snapshot occures.   We have sucessfully used these hot
backups to recover.  We also haved a cold backup happening every week
where the dbs are brought down (again, only need one down at a time
since they are in their own netapp volume) and snapshotted,

For the rac setups, we currently just use a big hammer .... i.e. we
bring down the instances and asm and take a snapshot.   Very Very ugly
and old-school.   Working on something beter .  (but then, its only a
test instance so we are not in a hurry to change yet).