RE: Oracle on Sun T2 performance problems

  • From: "Crisler, Jon" <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <srcdco@xxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:56:43 -0400

We seem to have narrowed down the performance issue.  The database has a
high percentage of LOBs, and the performance problem occurs when using
RMAN compression.  If I run a RMAN inc0 backup with compressed
backupsets on this 150gb database, with 2 channels, it takes 21 hours.
With 8 channels it takes 12+ hours and no performance gains are to be
had with more than 8 channels.   If I turn off compression, I can run
the backup in 30 minutes !!   The resulting backups are 120gb in size,
compared to 68 gb with rman compression.    I need to delve into this
further.

David Miller pointed out-

Actually T5220 has one chip that contains 8 cores, each of which has 8
threads.

It looks like 64 cpus to Solaris.  There are 8 FPUs on that chip, one
per core as mentioned by Bradd.