RE: Oracle on IBM Power7

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LS Cheng <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 16:30:39 -0700

Here are some interesting things I've found so far.  We're going to a P750, so
won't be able to try out the "TurboCore" mode, but I think we will test
different settings of the Intelligent Threads to see what works best for our
workload:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Infrastructure/IBM-Unveils-Power7-Systems-Ramps-Up-Competition-Against-HP-Sun-490909/

"TurboCore mode is a workload optimization feature that can have four cores
running, and putting the resources-include cache memory and memory bandwidth-of
the other four dormant cores before those active ones. It also can increase the
clock speed of those four active cores.  Not all systems will support TurboCore
mode. Among the four new servers, only the Power 780, designed for such
high-end transaction workloads as databases, will support TurboCore.  When not
in TurboCore, all the Power7 systems are in MaxCore mode, which takes advantage
of its increase in thread count.  The chips also feature Intelligent Threads, a
technology that can dynamically change the number of threads being run
depending on the type of workloads."

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/hardware/750/index.html

"Intelligent Threads technology enables workload optimization by selecting the
most suitable threading mode: Single Thread (per core) or Simultaneous Multi
Thread-2 or 4 modes"
IBM Redbooks and analysis:
http://mcpressonline.com/analysis/analysis-of-news-events/ibm-releases-redpapers-on-new-power7-servers.html