Oracle monitoring script ideas

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle Discussion List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:20:06 -0500

List,

I have a kind of fun task. We want a Unix script, executed by cron that
checks for some stuff in the database. Some of you may be doing this sort of
thing with a DBMS_JOB. This is Oracle8i, so dbms jobs don't work as well.
The other desire was to be notified if the database itself is down or some
other database problem keeps the script itself from running. The Unix script
runs some SQL and PL/SQL code to check some stuff, and writes a log of
findings, with abnormal conditions being identified as either "warning" or
"alarm", and emails being sent to defined distribution lists. If the
database script itself errors out (SQL*Plus whenever sqlerror exit failure)
is also treated as an alarm.
   If anyone has a script that does something like this and wouldn't mind my
swiping a few ideas, please send it to me.

Thanks,
Dennis Williams