Re: Oracle lockdown, agents, and EM Jobs

  • From: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dedba@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 20:47:11 -0500

David,

Kudos to your organization for taking this on. I hope you will share this
experience with the community through blogs and presentations. I could see
these topics easily being accepted as a presentation at any of the
conferences.

With the exception of a very few (and by very few I mean less than five)
situations, there should not be any scripts that need to run as oracle. I
am including the EM agent as one of those things that does not require
oracle. Those few things that are required to be run as oracle should be
done through sudo. If executing something using sudo is leaving environment
variables in place that shouldn't be there, then sudo is not set up
properly.

Your messages were quite complex but you are asking very good questions
here. I suggest you break it down into one or two issues per post and hash
them out before moving to the next issues.

Tony,

You're quite right that jobs that need to persist across employees should
never be run with credentials of an individual. Jobs should be run under a
common system user. As long as no one can use this user for anything other
than jobs (no local access to the servers), security would not be an issue
since authorization and auditing is taken care of with EM. If separation of
duties is the issue, each individual could have their own system user that
could just be reassigned to someone else if necessary.

Seth