RE: Oracle license requirements for unused options

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 12:21:59 -0700 (PDT)

Regarding the 'Partitioning (user)' and '... (system)' features in
dba_feature_usage_statistics, this note may help a little.

Can The Partitioning Option Be Deinstalled When System Partitioned
Objects Are Used (Doc ID 434743.1)

But I'm not sure how the two are separated. I thought 'Partitioning
(user)' increments its usage if you create a partitioned table, while
'Partitioning (system)' does it if you use 14524 event ("Always allow
partitioning. To be used only by trusted clients"; level 1 or above is
needed). But my test in a sandbox database, version 11.2.0.1, makes no
difference. I don't know the correct way to immediately update
dba_feature_usage_statistics instead of waiting for a week. If I
exec dbms_feature_usage_internal.sample_one_feature('Partitioning (user)')
the usage count for 'Partitioning (user)' goes up by 1. If I
exec dbms_feature_usage_internal.sample_one_feature('Partitioning (system)')
the count for 'Partitioning (system)' goes up by 1.
Exec dbms_feature_usage_internal.exec_db_usage_sampling(sysdate)
does the same but obviously runs longer. I didn't expect running the
sampling procedure would increase the feature usage count.

Yong Huang