Re: Oracle instance startup user on Unix

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:38:31 +0100

While playing around with TCP.VALIDNODE_CHECKING it became apparent
that there is another reason for more than one listener.

If you have 2+ databases on a single server, need to use
TCP.VALIDNODE_CHECKING
(SarbOx ya know), and the databases have different requirements as to what
IP
addresses will be allowed to connect, you need a different listener for
each.

Though the TCP.* parameters reside in sqlnet.ora, they are controlled by the
listener.

Any service connections made through the listener will not be possible for
an
excluded node, regardless of which database instance the connection is
intended for.

This also implies that each database will need a separate ORACLE_HOME.

Jared

On 7/14/05, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would have to disagree with that, but for perhaps a slightly different
> reason
> that others have.
>
> Jeremiah Wilton makes a compelling case for 2 listeners, just for the
> purpose
> of minimizing downtime for maintenance.
>
> Setup the tns entries for failover to 2 ports, allowing one listener to be
> taken down for maintenance while the other still serves requests
>
> ora-600.net/articles/stayinalive.pdf<http://ora-600.net/articles/stayinalive.pdf>
>
> Jared
>

> On 7/13/05, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I vote for one listener per box - been running this way on several
> > different hardware/OS/Oracle combinations for several years and can't
> > remember ever having a problem. More listeners just equals more maintenance
> > in my opinion.
> >
> > Never had to shutdown SQL*Net access (can just put the specific database
> > in restricted mode if that's what you really want), but if you had to
> > couldn't you just remove the desired service from your listener.ora and
> > then do a reload?

Jared Still