Re: Oracle heterogeneous services - Experiences anyone?

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andreas.haunschmidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:50:34 +0000

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:05:23 +0100,
andreas.haunschmidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<andreas.haunschmidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear List Members!
>
> A collegue of mine not having access to this list=20
> needs to exchange data between an Oracle 9 and a Microsoft SQL-Server =
> database.=20
> As far as I know he needs only to access SQL-Server data from Oracle.
> He would like to know about the experiences people made using
> Oracle heterogeneous services for that purpose.
>
> I would be thankful if anyone liked to share his/her experiences,
> and knowledge about reliability, performance,pitfalls and other =
> "special"=20
> features in a production environment.

One 'special' feature is that HS costs money at 15k per processor.
There is a 'free' alternative called generic connectivity (see
http://www.niall.litchfield.dial.pipex.com/archive/2004_07_01_archives.html)
for a quick guide. SQL Server itself comes with a rather good offering
called DTS (Data Transformation Services) which is also free.

HS allows you to do a bunch of useful things, but to be honest I
wouldn't pay for it, but use an alternative

Niall

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA