Oracle hangs on startup (9.2 on Win2000)

  • From: "Paul Vincent" <Paul.Vincent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 10:58:19 -0000

We're getting a very strange problem with very few symptoms to work =
from.

It's our policy to take cold backups of our Oracle 9.2 database, which =
runs on a Win2000 server. Consequently, the Veritas backup job first =
shuts down Agent, Listener and database, then the backup runs, then the =
job restarts the database, Listener and Agent.

All the above has worked perfectly well for several months. Until last =
night... when someone tried to connect to the database, it was apparent =
that the database was still down. I looked in the event log and found =
the following:

- - - - -
Dump file d:\orant\admin\dlib\bdump\alert_dlib.log
Tue Nov 02 10:44:42 2004
ORACLE V9.2.0.2.1 - Production vsnsta=3D0
vsnsql=3D12 vsnxtr=3D3
Windows 2000 Version 5.0 Service Pack 4, CPU type 586
Tue Nov 02 10:44:42 2004
Starting ORACLE instance (normal)
- - - - -

These were the last lines in the event log. It looks as though the =
startup of Oracle simply "hung". No error messages, no trace files =
generated. Nothing, just hanging there.

We tried stopping and restarting the database service, with exactly the =
same result (the above is pasted from this later attempt, in fact). We =
tried rebooting the server. Same result. The listener log indicates no =
problems. But every attempt to startup the database gives the above =
result.

Any ideas, please?

Paul Vincent
(Desperate) DBA