Re: Oracle database on VM Ware

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 17:21:01 -0400

On 04/26/2017 02:33 PM, Beckstrom Jeffrey wrote:

We are thinking of consolidating our databases onto VM Ware servers. At this point, we are still in the planning phase. Googling, I found information stating that if VSPHERE 5.1+ is being used; then you need to license Oracle on all VM Ware clusters and not just the cluster being dedicated to the databases. Is this for real? If so, then we will have to reconsider our plans.

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Lead Database Administrator
Information Technology Department
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

Hi Jeff,

Yes, it is for real. That doesn't apply to packaged products like Nutanix, only to DIY virtualization. I strongly recommend buying something like Nutanix, it will take a lot of work out the project and will make the licensing much cheaper.

Disclaimer:

I don't work for Nutanix, nor do I have any connection with the company. I am just an admirer.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA