Re: Oracle database on VM Ware

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Neil Chandler <neil_chandler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 11:21:48 -0400

Hi Neil,
I am a consultant, not a DBA. I don't have a database that I can call mine, so i've also seen Nutanix at other people's sites. As for the cloud, I would agree that cloud is better, at least from NYC perspective. Running an IT in the cloud means running it on somebody else's computer equipment. The company doesn't need to pay the rent for the server room, the company doesn't need to pay the electricity cost for IT and AC (yes, server room usually needs to be kept below 90 degrees, which may be a problem in New York City during summers) and the rent and additional power requirements are infamously expensive on Manhattan. I am quite certain that virtual machines on AWS are a LOT cheaper than the local HW in the local server room, where each additional square foot costs a fortune.
Regards

On 04/27/2017 11:06 AM, Neil Chandler wrote:

I would still get LMS to legally sign-off on your config; that document link states very clearly at the bottom "this document is for educational purposes only".

I've only used Nutanix on a POC and found it to be very good tech, but very hyped at the moment. Just like the "Cloud Is Better" sales message.

Regards

Neil.
sent from my phone

On 27 Apr 2017, at 13:56, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

On 04/27/2017 04:58 AM, Neil Chandler wrote:

Yes it does. The Nutanix documentation tells you to get your situation confirmed with legal and they explicitly (and sensibly) avoid confirming any license approval.
That is true, but Nutanix has a deal with Oracle:

http://next.nutanix.com/t5/Nutanix-Connect-Blog/Reducing-Oracle-Licensing-Cost-on-Nutanix/ba-p/13656

The installation ends up being much cheaper, which is the goal.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

--