Re: Oracle binary files permission

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:18:10 -0600

On 22/07/2014 6:41 PM, Ali Alizadeh wrote:
Hello All,

What is the default oracle binary files permission when we install oracle software for the following home?
Oracle RDBMS home, Oracle ASM home, and Oracle CRS home.
Also if we change the permission from 755 (which I think is a default) to 750, will we face any issues?

Regards,
Ali

Oracle database and ASM are designed to run SETGID. Basically anyone who has been included in the DBA or ASM Admin group should be able to do stuff like start/stop the db/asm without needing o log in or su to oracle.

There are also a bunch of executables that must be owned by root - nmo, etc.

Things can get weird in unexpected places if you mess with properly set permissions.

The normal permissions for db will be set by running the root.sh in the ORACLE_HOME.

/Hans