Re: Oracle and cpu/core

  • From: Woody McKay <woody.mckay@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: angelo <angelolistas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 14:29:50 -0500

Hi Angelo,

Yes it is a stand alone. Actually it will be leased through RackSpace.
They are helping with the design and will be with the hosting team for the
day-to-day support.

They are also talking about switching to OEL and multi-tenant in a year or
two. But, stuck with Windoz for now...

As an update, some on the list will remember my question a couple of weeks
ago on listeners. I was able to convince them to go with one listener per
SID. But, instead of 96 ports, they want to use 96 IP's. I checked with
Oracle support and they said as long as the IP:Port combo was unique that
they would support it.

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 1:45 PM, angelo <angelolistas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My opinion.. They are crazy...

So many instances on the same server, Windows server .. (is it stand
alone ?)

On 4 November 2015 at 16:40, Woody McKay <woody.mckay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

Our hosting unit is designing a large server and want to put about 96
SID's on it. They've worked through I/O and RAM considerations. This is
on Win 64 2012 R2.

However, they are not sure about cpu/core count and usage. They
currently have 64 cores and need to know how many of the cores will each
SID (oracle.exe) can/will use. If a SID can't use all cores, then what's
the best way to spread the SIDs across all the cores. I talked about cpu
groups, but they said that Oracle always picks cpu group 0 on startup and
they have to manually reassign the groups to each oracle.exe process.

I've only had about 40 SIDs on a box with 24 cores, so I don't really
have the experience to provide the best answers.

Any thoughts? Thanks

--
Sincerely,

WoodyMcKay