Re: Oracle and SQL server together?

  • From: Ryan January <rjjanuary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dedba@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 08:23:46 -0500

My experience has mirrored Tony's. As long as you have enough CPU, RAM,
and physical IO throughput to support both server loads I can't see an
issue. Obviously Microsoft and Oracle alike would have you place them on
disparate servers (Either physical or vm) if at all possible. It's been
a number of years since I've worked on the MS SQL side, but I recall
default installs of SQL Server 2003 eating up almost every available
byte of memory from a default install. The reasoning behind it is that
the servers buffer pool will continue to grow and rarely attempts to
shrink it unless the server is starved for system memory.  I think there
were registry hacks that will place loose restrictions on how much
memory MS SQL can reserve but I can't find my notes on it at the
moment.  Here are two links that I did dig up that may lead you down the
right path.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319942 - How to determine proper SQL
Server configuration settings
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321363 - How to adjust memory usage by
using configuration options in SQL Server

On 09/18/2012 07:34 AM, De DBA wrote:
> Not recently, but I have in the past. In my experience SQL Server ties in
> rather intimately with the OS and will starve Oracle (or any other
> application for that matter) for resources. This was even noticeable when
> running VMWare instances in an ESX pool with some VMs running SQLServer and
> others running Oracle (not sure how the SQLServer VMs coexisted..).  If
> memory serves well, that last configuration involved Windows 2000/2003, SQL
> Server 2003 and Oracle 10gR2.
>
> I tend to fight for a dedicated server where I can.. :)
>
> Cheers,
> Tony
>
> On 18/09/12 22:01, Storey, Robert (DCSO) wrote:
>> Anyone every run Oracle and SQL server together on the same physical box?
>> Do they play well with each other or have both secretly embedded hacking
>> code to look for the other and sabatoge it...lol.
>>

>> --
>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
>>

> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

This email is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may
contain information that is confidential, proprietary, or both.
If you receive this email in error please immediately notify the
sender and delete the email.